The Real Mum’s Guide to (Surviving) Parenthood is a real-life, mum-of-seven’s perspective on the rollercoaster of parenthood, with all its ups and downs, challenges and rewards. It covers all aspects of parenthood, starting with that big fat positive pregnancy test, and includes:
• Pregnancy and childbirth.
• The newborn stage.
• Postnatal depression .
• Toddler terrors and ‘threenagers’.
• Adding to your family’s numbers and adjusting to the new family dynamic
• Adjusting to the new ‘mum’ you and the importance of mum friends.
• The primary school years and the many challenges involved.
• The secondary school years and the teenage minefield.
The approach and tone are both humorous and sensitive. Realistic and anecdotal, the book is filled with practical advice throughout that appreciates the emotional involvement in rearing children.
As a mum of seven who is parenting many different personalities, the author has learned that what works for some doesn’t for others, and she includes realistic tools for overcoming certain hurdles. The age span of her children means that she is dealing with the challenges of modern-day parenting across the board, as it is now in 2017, rather than retrospectively.
The Real Mum’s Guide to (Surviving) Parenthood is aimed at all parents, from expectant mothers to parents of teenagers.